The Sacred Seeds Sanctuary at Luna Nueva is a dynamic collection of medicinal plants that protects and celebrates not only biological diversity in Costa Rica and the tropics, but also the diversity of cultural knowledge related to these plants worldwide. Our Sacred Seeds garden currently houses over 300 tropical medicinal plants. In a world where 50 to 200 species become extinct every day due to deforestation, over harvesting, or other human activity, the sanctuary aims to preserve the genetic material and cultural use of these plants.The winding path of the sanctuary brings the visitor through three different sections of environmental diversity representing the various cultural groups of Costa Rica; indigenous, Afro-Caribbean, and European descended Ticos.We offer a guided tour of the Sacred Seeds Sanctuary.
- Departure at Luna: Upon request
- Duration: 2 hours
- Recommended ages: All ages
- Rate: $39 per person
- 4% Obligatory Tax will be added starting July 1st, 2021
- What to bring: Quick dry clothing or poncho, sun block, bugspray, camera.
- Includes: Entrance fee, rubber boots, and professional bilingual guides.
- Discounts: 20% off for students and residents.
- Disclosure: Our Guided Sacred Seeds Tour is currently closed. We will keep you posted when we re-activate this tour. You are welcome to explore the trails with a printed guide provided at the reception desk.
Below is a slide show of watercolors from the Sacred Seeds Garden painted by Botanical Artist Amy Glasser, (amyartsyou.etsy.com).
SACRED SEEDS GARDEN REVIEWED
Organic Gardening Magazine Online printed a nice story on our Sacred Seeds Garden.
SACRED SEEDS CHALLENGE
Global climate change, loss of habitat, aggressive agricultural practices, pollution, over-harvesting and the loss of generational medicinal wisdom are threatening important plant species, and the medicinal wisdom that surrounds them. Without intervention, we could be facing a dramatic global loss of biodiversity. You can do your part – support the international Sacred Seeds Project by contributing to the tax-exempt organization United Plant Savers, www.unitedplantsavers.org.
PLANTS OF SEMILLAS SAGRADAS
We are happy to provide you a free download of the book by Rafael Ocampo and Michael J. Balick. semillas-sagradas This book highlights many plants from the Sacred Seed Garden at Luna Nueva and is illustrated with full color photographs.